No, not that kind of special, but these ones are definitely pretty special. I love that these are semi-homemade, so I can go grab a box of whatever mix is on sale at the grocery store and then add in the rest of the ingredients to make these guys sing. These brownies are specially made for breastfeeding moms, as they are packed with additional goodies that may help build up the breast milk supply.** Don’t let this stop you from making them if you aren’t breastfeeding, though! Flaxseed meal and brewer’s yeast are both really great for you!
- Flax is a great source of fiber, plant-based Omega-3s, and is a great source of lignans. Check out this post to see more in-depth information about Flaxseed! You can get flaxseed at your local grocery store. I got my flaxseed meal at Market Basket for a really great price.
1. This is the one I use.
- Brewer’s Yeast is considered a probiotic and is a great source of protein, zinc, iron, and other vitamins and minerals. You can read more about BY over here! You can find BY at your local GNC and on Amazon.com.
1. This is the one that I have.
2. This one also looks pretty good.
The addition of brewer’s yeast, flaxseed meal, and Ovaltine Malt are what really drive the milk production, at least for me.**
Because I am exclusively pumping, I tend to be either an under-producer or a just-enougher of breastmilk, so I’m always looking for ways to help me enhance my supply. These brownies really make a huge difference! Now… onto the recipe!
Momma’s Special Mommy Milk Brownies
- 1 box of brownie mix (I like Pillsbury Chewy Fudge)
- All ingredients listed on boxed brownies (water/oil/eggs)
- 2 tbsp Ovaltine Malt
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 3-4 tbsp brewer’s yeast (I use 4)
- 2 tbsp water (in addition to what is on the box)
- Optional, can of frosting
- Preheat oven per box instructions.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until well-combined. Let sit for 5 minutes to ensure flaxseed meal soaks in water.
- Put into pan/pans for cooking. [I used 9″ circular cake pans and split the mix in half between 2.]
- Place in oven and cook per box instructions. [Note: If you are splitting the mix between two pans, this will shorten the cook time.]
- Once finished cooking, let cool. Spread on frosting, if you want. And enjoy!
I notice an increase of 1-2 ounces of milk per pumping session within six hours of eating one of these brownies. As a general note, I tend to have a bite or two after each pumping session to ensure this is staying in my system.
Other ways to incorporate flaxseed meal into your food:
- Make granola with oats and other things, add flaxseed and yogurt. (Granola recipe coming soon.)
- Mix flaxseed into oatmeal (another really great breastmilk superfood!)
- Mix into smoothies.
- Sprinkle over different kinds of food – salads, fruit, etc.
Share your favorite things to help produce more BM below! Did you try this recipe? What did you think? Comment below!
**Please note that there is no guarantee that this will help your supply or that the ingredients above will help you in any way. I am not a doctor, just a mom who wants to share what has helped for me.